Open Data Hackathon
Event Name: Open Data Hackathon 2021 – Smart Environment
Leading Organiser: Hong Kong Technology Advancement Group (HKtag)
General Eligibility Requirements
- All teammates have to be age at 18 or above.
- Each team can be formed up to 4 teammates, in which none of the teammate can be replaced by other(s) if their proposal is chosen to go for hackathon final round. Any violation will lead to disqualification.
- Each team needs to choose their solution category of their development at the application entry, based on “Transport”, “Environment & Energy” and “Climate & Weather”.
- Each teammate has to show up for the hackathon final from 13 – 15 November 2021.
- It must be a data-driven approach project with use of datasets from DATA.GOV.HK (https://data.gov.hk/en/) and Hong Kong GeoData Store (https://geodata.gov.hk/gs/)
- The applicant should demonstrate significant value-add by the Hong Kong resources contributing to the success of their solutions in the target market with a sustainable plan the coming 3-5 years to reach our goals, combating climate change, adopting low- carbon lifestyles and implementing effective energy saving and renewable energy measures.
- A significant part to their innovation and design cannot be a copy from their previous product/ services or other one’s intellectual property. Any application found to have similar solution available in market will be disqualified.
- Upon commitment of the chosen finalists participating the final round, none of the teammate can be replaced by others. The team cannot change their chosen category once submitted at the application entry for their hackathon final on 13-15 November 2021.
Rules and Regulations
- Applicants are advised to be aware of the best practice and case-based experience as promulgated by the Office of Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data.
- Applicants are reminded that any person who, without the permission of the Leading Organiser of this event, offers an advantage to parties involved in the Hackathon as a reward or inducement for doing any act or showing favour in relation to the Hackathon commits an offence of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (Cap. 201).
- To avoid conflicts of interest and the perception as such, applications for the Hackathon from sponsors will not be accepted.
- In case of any dispute, the decision of the Leading Organiser will be final and binding on all parties concerned.
Entry (Proposal) submission:
There is no limit on the usage of programming language and the frontend interface. We are seeking for your innovative ideas, dedicated to issue(s) related to TRANSPORT, ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY and CLIMATE & WEATHER, with data driven technical solutions and implementation of programming, GIS/BIM and any other digital elements including but not limited to user-friendly interface etc., as part of your presentation.
- English written proposal in ppt/ pdf format together with any supplement
- Video within 5 mins as their presentation of their solutions and planning, with at least 50% verbal presentation in Chinese or English
- Subtitles inserted in video are welcome
- 1-2 pages CV of each teammate to be submitted
- Deadline submission on 27 September 2021
1) Innovation and Creativity (20%)
- The innovation in solving a specific problem with ICT
- Creative problem solving with new form of application and use of effective technologies
- Cost-effective deployment and integration of resources or technologies
2) Functionality with relevant use of open data sets (25%)
- Understanding and effectively addressing user (customers, citizens, stakeholders) requirements per study of relative data to solve the issue
- Empowering users to accomplish their functions efficiently (customer-centric, citizen-centric)
- Regulatory compliance, industry/sector best practice compliance
- Ease of implementation
- Providing scalability and interoperability
- Enhancement planning for foreseeable market/sector/community needs
3) Market Potential/ Performance, Internal User Buy-in or Public Acceptance (20%)
- Current market share/user base and rolling take-up rate
- Realistic/justifiable market growth projections for local
- Future diversification into new industries/sectors/communities
4) Benefits and Impact (20%)
- Creating a new operational model for business and public sector enterprises
- The extent of new and enhanced revenue/profits and/or tangible cost savings, (monetary, efficiency and productivity)
- Creating impact: industry-impact, sectoral-impact, social-impact, on accessibility and reach, quality and satisfaction, for customers/citizens
- Enhancing public/market/sectoral community awareness of the use and benefits
- Including ESG factors in measuring the sustainability and societal impact of this project
5) Quality (15%)
- Reliability and stability
- Quality standards as reflected by external quality marks/certs
- User-friendly interface (if applicable)
- Good presentation skills
The confirmation of finalist teams will be announced upon double screening and final review of their total score by the chief screening panel judge and HKtag.
In the course of evaluation, HKtag and chief of screening judge panel may require access to relevant information in the applicant’s possession. The applicant will be notified in advance if such access is required. Any information supplied by the applicant for the purpose of the Open Data Hackathon will be treated as confidential and will not be released by HKtag and related parties without the applicant’s permission.
Prize and benefits for winners at Final on 15 November 2021
The remarkable accomplishments of the Hackathon Winners (Champion / First runner-up / Second runner-up) will be recognised by our IT and environmental industries, government departments and all other stakeholders.
Winning entitlements includes:
- Digital Certificates (Champion, First runner-up and Second runner-up) of Open Data Hackathon 2021;
- Eligibility to display the official logo of the Open Data Hackathon 2021 in their promotional materials;
- Alibaba Cloud credits USD500 to each of 3 champions, valid for one year (1);
- ArcGIS Personal Use (max. 4 licenses for each team) to winners of Champion, First runner-up and Second runner-up, and 3-day ArcGIS Training Course (max. 4 persons) to Champion of the champions from Esri China (Hong Kong) GIS software (2);
- 3 months free access to Flexi Space in Cyberport Smart-Space for 3 champions (3);
- Fast-track Cyberport programme for 3 champions (4);
- Solution showcase at website of HKtag and other exposure that HKtag will coordinate in other events/ activities; and
- Advertorial about their solutions in media
- Each team should submit the completed application form on or before 15 September 2021.
- Upon receipt of our notification email, including well receiving their form and instruction of uploading their presentation, the team should submit all proposal materials at assigned cloud park by 27 September 2021.
|Official call for entries||2021.07.21|
|Deadline for enrolment||2021.09.15|
|Deadline for proposal upload||2021.09.27|
|Screening for finalists||2021.10.02 – 2021.10.17|
|Announcement- Finalists||2021.10.18 – 2021.10.22|
|Pre-final briefing for finalists||2021.10.30|
|Trainings on Cloud and / GIS tools||early Nov (to be announced to finalists)|
|Hackathon||2021.11.13 – 2021.11.14|
|Conference cum Final||2021.11.15|
Contact Person : Mr. Cheung
Tel : (852) 6394 7099
Email : [email protected]
Website : https://events.hk-tag.org/
- Winning team has to register an Alibaba Cloud account before 31 December 2021 in order to receive the credit. Use of credit with one year validation will expire latest by 31 December 2022. Details of the registration will be provided upon completion of hackathon individually by Alibaba Cloud.
- Esri China (Hong Kong) offers ArcGIS Personal Use to winners, valid for one year, between 1 Jan 2022 and 31 Dec 2022. The arrangement of 3-day ArcGIS Training Course will be notified to the winner and details of the offers ArcGIS Personal Use registration will be provided upon completion of hackathon individually by Esri China (Hong Kong).
- Cyberport offers 3 free Flexi Space in Cyberport Smart-Space for 3 months to Open Data Hackathon award winners. The number of flexi-desk offered to ODH Winners is capped to 3. Given the quota, flexi-desk will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and subject to the availability. Winner shall submit application to Cyberport for the offered flexi-desk on or before 31 Mar 2022 after the announcement of results in Nov 2021. Any submission after the deadline will become ineligible.
- Seats to fast-track programme will be applied to either Cyberport Creative Micro Fund (CCMF) YEP and Professional Stream and Cyberport Incubation Programme (CIP). The top 3 awardees can choose to apply either of the CCMF programme or the CIP programme while terms and condition applied. Entrepreneurship center reserves the right to offer the fast-track to other awardees in case the eligible 3 awardees give up the opportunity or they were not eligible to apply the Cyberport programmes.
Hong Kong Technology Advancement Group (HKtag), as the Leading Organiser of Open Data Hackathon, has all rights reserved in regard of this initiative and is the final decision maker to all results and revision made according to different arrangements for this Open Data Hackathon event.